Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Lenten Reflections

Our director of Christian formation and education used the following video for an EYC (youth) Eucharist last Sunday:



***
We won't forgive the people who we hire to teach us about forgiveness.

A St. Paul's parishioner said this to me the other day, and I can't get it out of my head. When I asked her to elaborate, she said people expect more from clergy than anyone else and can't forgive them (us) if those expectations aren't met and if big mistakes are made. I wish it wasn't true. I think she might be right, though.

What's beyond forgivable?

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Maybe more than 40 days in the wilderness!

apbs said...

My favorite part of that video is how chapped Jesus' lips look. I bet they would have dried out for forty days in the desert, but I never thought of that.

Jokingly, I'm beginning to think being more than forty weeks pregnant is unforgivable.

Seriously, I don't know, other than to say forgiveness seems easier in the abstract than in the concrete and the specific.